[LAU] cancelling I/O with libsndfile

Dan Muresan danmbox at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 06:46:14 UTC 2011

> To me that suggests that either you have a completely unique
> problem to solve or that they are other solutions to your
> problem that other people use to get around the same problem.
> My guess is that your problem is not completely unique.

Certainly not unique. My guess is that nobody worried about a
(possibly small) performance penalty, and instead used simpler
strategies. Or they gave up libsndfile, or they never used libsndfile
in the first place (e.g. due to the scaling factors issue).

> Modifying libsndfile to do fread/fwrite style buffering would be
> relatively easy. Again, patches accepted.

Given the virtual I/O layer in libsndfile, this is superfluous (and,
furthermore, a userspace cache adds an extra layer of copying, which
in *other* use cases could reduce performance).

> Was that a confirmation or a request for confirmation? Joining a
> mailing list usually involves:

I know. Maybe I messed something up -- I don't have copies anymore.
However if that were the case the message I sent two weeks ago should
have bounced back too.

The main problem that I see though is the lack of a mailing list
archive. So let's continue on LAD.

-- Dan