[LAU] [OT reply to recived OT ; )] RME analog out of phase to ADAT connected Behringer analog out

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Jun 14 12:11:22 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-06-14 at 13:09 +0200, Raffaele Morelli wrote:

> [...]
>         > <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:
>         > > Hi,
>         > >
>         > > I made a sound check, that isn't a valid test, just a test
>         to get a
>         > > coarse impression, but it's positive that for the 'RME
>         analog out / ADAT
>         > > out test' the signals were out of phase.
>         >
>         > I have no idea why you would expect two analog signal paths
>         with
>         > independent D/A conversion would ever be in phase.
>
>         Thanks, that was what I wanted to know, so it's not broken. I
>         didn't
>         expect that, I was told that when synced "NOTHING" would
>         differ. I
>         claimed that I don't believe this and seemingly I didn't
>         mistake. It's
>         important to be aware of this ;).
>
>         > I also have no idea how or why you are doing a test that
>         involves
>         > playing a PCM file in one case and apparently playing an
>         audio CD in a
>         > CD player in the other.
>
>         No valid test, just a test to hear, if at least the sound
>         quality of a
>         (less good?) CD player is reached, fortunately it is reached,
>         even with
>         the elCheapo Terratec, 44.1 KHz it's quasi equal for the RME,
>         Terratec,
>         the CD player, when listening by the Behringer console. But
>         when using
>         Totem (no jackd) the sound differs, which doesn't mean that
>         the sound
>         quality is less good or better, the sound is different. Again,
>         this
>         isn't a valid test, regarding to the abilities of e.g. the RME
>         card. It
>         was a test to ensure that the sound quality won't get more
>         worse, than
>         the worst sound quality of my home equipment. The most worse
>         equipment I
>         own and use is the Pinoeer CD player and the Behringer mixing
>         console.
>         The less good sound quality is at the border to what I can
>         stand,
>         anything less good I can't stand. Even with best equipment I
>         can't stand
>         44.1 KHz very long, for e.g. synth music, of course I'm able
>         to listen
>         to old blues recordings that are terribly broken, because of
>         the soul by
>         this music, but for e.g. synth music I need 48 Khz at a
>         quality given by
>         Sony equipment, my Terratec sound card e.g. can't provide this
>         sound
>         quality, even not at 96 KHz. I don't know why, at least I
>         suspect the
>         analog op-amps as being bad.
>
>         Regards,
>
>         Ralf
>

> then, what's the need for those invalid tests? :)

To hear if there are any issues for the combination of equipment I often
have to use privately. Best practises for jobs, with professional
equipment, can't be used to get impressions for new equipment, you get
for your homerecording studio.

And as you could read I found an issue. At Thomann (a German dealer)
they claimed there are no sync issues, what I couldn't believe. Doing
this test I found out, that there are bad phases. Do you think I would
test the phases of the given equipment when doing a job? Do you think I
would recommend somebody using a Neve to buy Behringer equipment?

I don't have much money, what I do at home needs completely other
procedures. So pardon, English isn't my natvie language, but I guess the
context explains what the test is good for.

> moreover, I would not say old blues recordings are terribly broken,

You like to listen to modern music with 5 sec long drop-outs? You hate
new music completely and only tolerate old blues etc.?

>  192Khz super-ultra-mega-super-funky AD/DC to analog converters won't
> save if the music you are playing/recording with is... brokenù
> :)

There is a lot of modern music that has no melody and is only some kind
of FX music that needs 48 Khz high quality recordings.
Note, I'm an dino guitarist, but I anyway wish to have the possibility
to make any kind of music I like to do, even if it should be
48-KHz-no-quality-issue-razzle-dazzle-music without the soul old blues
music has got. I don't let the style police control me.

Regards,

Ralf