[LAU] Text-based sound visualisation?

S. Massy lists at wolfdream.ca
Tue Jun 21 19:29:50 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 09:25:15AM +0200, Cedric Roux wrote:

> ----- "S. Massy" <lists at wolfdream.ca> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Recently, I discovered jack_meter, a simple jack client which acts as a
> > level meter and has a very simple "bar" style text output. Using this, I
> > was able to confirm what my ears were telling me about compression level
> > in different mixes. This led me to wonder whether there were any sound
> > visualisation tools using a similar form of output. A quick google
> > search didn't return anything interesting, but I was wondering if anyone
> > here knew of such a tool.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > S.M.
> > --
>
> what do you need? maybe you can improve jack_meter, or ask the programmer of it
> to improve it for your needs. Or find someone to do the job (me, why not, if I
> have the skills, based on your needs).
I thought about that. I know some C, but my knowledge of DSP programming
using low-level languages is next to nonexistent. What I'm thinking of
is nothing really fancy: besides a general meter, just measuring the
amplitude in separate bands to gain a rough idea of where some peaks
might be. I suppose it's just a matter of splitting up the signal into
bands and measuring them individually, but I'm not sure how to do that.
Maybe the code Julien has would elucidate this for me.

Cheers,
S.M.