[LAU] OT: Small studio monitors, or what are you using?

S. Massy lists at wolfdream.ca
Wed Jun 22 18:03:46 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 08:27:46AM +0200, Aurelien wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 05:30:52PM -0400, S. Massy wrote :
> > Hello, all,
> >
> > Didn't have much time to dedicate to this until this weekend. I
> > auditioned Genelec 8020As, Adam A5X, and M-audio CX5. The M-audios
> > turned out a surprisingly good performance for monitors a few hundred
> > dollars cheaper than the other two. The Genelecs turned out a wonderful
> > performance for monitors one inch smaller, but I found them a little
> > harsh for my taste. So the A5Xs won. Frequency response is very good,
> > and stereo imaging is just superb. I'm getting to know them and am
> > looking forward to mixing on them.
>
> I'm using Genelec 8020As, and they're great but really not transparent.
> They clearly miss some basses (and subs, of course), and they're a bit
> too bright (which, in some way, allows to work on details on those
> frequencey ranges).
I listened to quite a few mixes on Yamahas, which are even harsher than
Genelecs IMHO, and there is a short-term advantage in mixing, as you
say, but the trade-off, at least in my case, was much quicker
ear-fatigue. The Adams are less "in-your-face" and may require a longer
"break-in" period, but I suspect will repay with being able to use them
longer before ear-fatigue kicks in.

> By the way, knowing this, you can work with them, but it's better to
> have some other kits to compare.
> I think your choice is cool.
Thanks, I think so too. :)

Cheers,