[LAU] Karajan (Was: Is this the band Sky? Was: Text-based sound visualisation? Re: Linux-audio-user Digest, Vol 52, Issue 32)

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Thu Jun 23 06:06:46 UTC 2011

On Thursday 23 June 2011 02:08:02 Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> You may be surprised that Von Karajan was known for his
> interfering with the recording technique and forcing his
> kind of 'production sound'... and not always for the better.

Actually I am not surprised by that, after all he was Karajan! The name or
experience or knowledge from the sound engineer didn't matter...

"
Whats the difference between Karajan and god?
 - God doesn't think he is Karajan!
"

Personally I think I didn't like the Karajan recordings I heard, but I can't
really say why and I can't remember how I compared.
I know I like my recording of Haydns "Schöpfung" (en: "Creation") conducted by
Leonard Bernstein. I don't like my recording of Haydns "Die Jahreszeiten" (en:
"The seasons") conducted by Sigiswald Kuijken. But the main reason for this is
the audio engineer that mixed the second with to much dynamic range and to
much headroom => its not loud enough for most listening environments...

Have fun,

Arnold