[LAU] Kernel 2.6.39

James Warden warjamy at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 23 13:17:38 UTC 2011

> So I don't need to re-build the kernel?

looks like you don't.

> PAE is irrelevant for me, hence I'm using 64-bit
> architecture.

OK

> Hm, less seems to be less comfortable, I hope I'm allowed
> to use cat
> instead.

you are allowed to do what you want. But as stated before, grep does not have to be on the right side of the pipe if all you want is greping through a text file

grep <something> <text file>

will be the simplest.

On the other hand, "less" is often used on the right side of the pipe. e.g.:

grep <something> <some long text file> | less

> $ less /etc/default/grub ... needs to copies, so I fall
> back to cut, it
> needs just one copy.
> $ cat /etc/default/grub
> # If you change this file, run 'update-grub' afterwards to
> update
> # /boot/grub/grub.cfg.
> # For full documentation of the options in this file, see:
> #   info -f grub -n 'Simple configuration'
>
> GRUB_DEFAULT=0
> GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
> GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo
> Debian`
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet"
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
>
> So I need to add
>
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="threadirqs"
>
> ?
>
> Thanks,

you can replace the default you have, which is "quiet", by "quiet threadirqs" in the grub config file.

J.