[LAU] Gnome-shell | Unity

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Jun 26 12:13:15 UTC 2011

> Message: 3
> Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 06:36:04 -1000
> From: david <gnome at hawaii.rr.com>
> Subject: Re: [LAU] Gnome-shell | Unity
> To: linux-audio-user <linux-audio-user at lists.linuxaudio.org>
>
> rosea grammostola wrote:
>
> > So guys, just upgrade Gnome2 to Gnome3? ... Is it true that both
> > Gnome-shell and Unity needs Pulseaudio?
>
> I don't know about that. I know that Gnome3 uses 1GB of memory ... My
> wife's new netbook has Ubuntu 11.04 on it, haven't noticed if it's using
> PA or not, but sound works.

I kept GNOME2 and I'm unwilling even to test GNOME3, but I asked
somebody from the Ubunut Studio lists, regarding to the claim that
GNOME3 should use 1GB of RAM. It might be true on your machine, for your
install, but the one I asked claims that you're (or who ever it was who
claimed this before) mistaken. IIRC his GNOME3 does need 42MB only.

Since I didn't need to install PA for GNOME2 on Debian, I suspect hat
it's just another multimedia unfriendly issue by your distro (note,
Debian doesn't install PA, but it ships with other annoying multimedia
unfriendly issue ;). Perhaps GNOME3 for Debian doesn't need PA too.