[LAU] Gnome-shell | Unity

Hartmut Noack zettberlin at linuxuse.de
Mon Jun 27 08:09:09 UTC 2011

Am 25.06.2011 18:40, schrieb rosea.grammostola:
> On 06/25/2011 06:36 PM, david wrote:
>> rosea grammostola wrote:
>>
>>> So guys, just upgrade Gnome2 to Gnome3? ... Is it true that both
>>> Gnome-shell and Unity needs Pulseaudio?
>>
>> I don't know about that. I know that Gnome3 uses 1GB of memory ...
>
> Wow! Yeah, the points that made us proud of Linux slowly seems to fade
> away... :( These new Desktop developments doesn't seems to be good for
> Linuxaudio users at all...
>
> Btw do you know what KDE4 uses?

a lot. On Ubuntu it uses twice as much as Gnome2, on Fedora it is similar.

BUT: it can be configured to work very streamlined. On Suse 11.2 I  only
disabeled the 3d-effects and the indexing and downloaded a lighter
Theme. Now it feels like XFCE in terms of performance.
I also have zero trouble using Dolphin or Konqueror or Kate under XFCE
in Fedora. As of now I have Mozilla, Dolphin and Jack and MHW up and
running in XFCE/Fedora14 and it uses 410MB memory.

Quite OK on a box with 2GB RAM.

btw.: here on my Thinkpad I have only but 2GB installed since I do not
feel the need to have much more. I can edit Ardour-Projects with around
40-50 channels and dozens of plug ins and record from guitarix at the
same time.