[LAU] Gnome-shell | Unity41

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Jun 27 00:33:02 UTC 2011

"It looks like XFCE will be the 'next Gnome2? ... It looks better then
in the past and it seems to be pretty comparable with Gnome2. It seems
to be a possible to remove pulseaudio from Xubuntu. And of course you
can install Fluxbox together with it (I prefer fluxbox also myself ;) )"

There should be Linux audio apps, that need GTK2 libs.

When I need to switch from KDE3 to GNOME2 I needed to change my work
flow, but there wasn't a loss off apps. IIUC when they stop GNOME2,
we'll lose apps, regarding to GTK2 libs that should be needed.

An Ubuntu Studio coder already rewrites an app.

XFCE isn't a GNOME2 successor, at least not for me, since GNOME2 is my
KDE3 successor. I lower my sight when switching from KDE3 to GNOME2 and
doing the same from GNOME2 to XFCE would cause to lower the sight again.

When will XFCE became an update that makes it similar to Microsoft and
Apple? How often should we switch the DE?