[LAU] LV2 synths for Ardour 3?

allcoms allcoms at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 09:33:52 UTC 2011

> Be careful with the terminology here -- MIDI CCs aren't being used at all
> with this kind of plugin automation. Ardour is sending values to the LV2
> control ports on the synth plugin, without using MIDI at all. That's why the
> same technique works for automating parameters on effects plugins that have
> no MIDI ports (in both Ardour 3 and Ardour 2).

Yep - well aware of this sire

> Ardour 3 will support MIDI CC automation, too, and that will be very handy
> for external synths, but for plugins, I think plugin automation is the way
> to go.
>
> That said, I'm not sure why you're having trouble with this -- it definitely
> should work. I know Paul Davis mentioned some issues with automation in the
> alpha 8 release notes, so that may be related. Hopefully you'll have more
> luck with the next alpha.
>
> If you want to make sure your automation value are actually being applied,
> you can check visually by leaving the plugin UI open while you play your
> track. You should see the parameter value change as the track plays; in this
> case, you'd see the Cutoff knob turning itself.

If I leave the plugin window open (natty, calf plugins from repo,
alpha5) I do indeed see the cutoff moving as desired. I have the
resonance turned right up but still I cannot hear any noticeable
change in the sound. However, if I move the cutoff slider manually
during playback it works as expected. Hmmm!

Paul's big natch for alpha 8 was noting that MIDI CC (yes, I know, but
undoubtedly this is closely linked) is still quite borked so maybe
this will work as expected come alpha9?

D.