[LAU] need help in san francisco

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Tue Jun 28 01:33:35 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 01:47:45PM -0700, jim wrote:

>     any body willing to help me out in san francisco?
> the project is to set up a recording and sequencing
> system for scratch (semi-pro-quality) recording.
>     i'm an out of work musician but none-the-less
> willing to pay money.
>
> problems include:
> * determine the right computer to buy
>     for example: buy a tower or a laptop or both? if a
>     tower, what expansion cards to buy?
> * determine what software to use
> * determine i/o and other hardware
> * how to drive a roland X10, other roland digital
>   keyboard?
>     what other external hardware to buy? drum machine?
>     other music instrument hardware? (i like having
>     instrument voices in external hardware so's not to
>     burden the CPU of the computer running recording or
>     sequencing software.)
> * use existing pro-tools recordings on the new linux
>   system
>
> hopefully,
> jim
> PS: music store people i've talked to have no clue about
> linux stuff.
> i have read reviews and other online info and cannot find
> what i need: specifics to put a small, basic system
> together (what CPU speed, RAM, storage... to buy; is there
> reasonably good quality recording or sound generation or
> audio playback stuff in expansion card form that works
> with linux; are there necessary drivers or libraries that
> are not obvious to someone new to setting up these systems;
> what are the solutions to problems that typically come
> with the specific hardware and software components...?).

Wow, that's right up my alley.

I'm in San Francisco and I spent 4 years gigging with a strictly Linux setup (mostly at the Boom Boom Room, Elbo Room, and the former Ti Couz, but all over town), as well as produced and mixed a CD using Linux (http://music.betterthanlahar.com/album/bench-seats-are-for-lovers ), plus tons of my own home-studio stuff.

Some background here:
http://www.restivo.org/blog/archives/category/geekery

And lately I've stopped playing music but have been doing computer and software consulting including helping a friend upgrade his studio. So I'm definitely looking for this kind of work.

AFAICT, if you're looking for someone with professional experience using Linux as an instrument and a studio, I'm pretty sure I'm the only person around here who's been doing that.

Would be glad to help you out; email me off-list.

-ken