[LAU] Audio player that handles WMA audio files and WPL playlists

Joel Roth joelz at pobox.com
Tue Mar 1 17:53:12 UTC 2011

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 11:33:59PM -1000, Joel Roth wrote:
> A friend has an old laptop with Windows XP that is
> misbehaving.
>
> He has a lot of music and playlists in the above formats.
> Does Linux have a player that is compatible with these?
> Wine is also possible, especially if the apps can be
> run off an existing Windows partition.
>
> I'm considering installing a Linux distribution for him.
> The window manager needs to be lightweight enough to run on
> a Pentium M, with 500MB memory.  He'd like to be able to
> view videos as well.

DRM rears it's ugly head!

One reason for the misbehavior may be that the hard drive
has a lot of errors, including some bad sectors.

I backed up the entire user directory... not a single error.

Then I copied a couple WMA albums to a NTFS drive.
These are albums he ripped using Windows Media Player.

Try as I might, I couldn't get them to play under Linux.  As
Julien suggested, I tried downloading codecs from the
mplayer site, deliberately specifying which codecs to use,
and playing with ffplay (ffmpeg).

So I rebooted *my* laptop into the obligatory Win7 partition,
set up the media player (choosing don't get rights from the Internet)
and then double-clicked the file. Surprise. Win7 says "You don't have
rights to play this!"

Could some DRM limitations explain why I can't play these files
under Linux?

Does someone know ways people work with or around this? The
guy is a drummer, and he and his wife are destitute.
We don't have much of a budget for repairs.

Thanks.

> Any suggestions?
>
> Regards
>
> --