[LAU] Audio player that handles WMA audio files and WPL playlists

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Tue Mar 1 19:27:09 UTC 2011

S. Massy wrote:

>> I'm considering installing a Linux distribution for him.
>> The window manager needs to be lightweight enough to run on
>> a Pentium M, with 500MB memory.  He'd like to be able to
>> view videos as well.
> Someone mentioned xfce; my wife used it for a while on ab old laptop
> with 256MB of RAM and it mostly worked fine for her, even using such
> graphics tools as gimp. Lxde is another minimalistic environment people
> speak well of, although I have little personal experience with it.

LXDE uses more memory than XFCE. I think it's also very buggy about
modifying menus, but I could be wrong.

> If
> your friend is adventurous, there are even more minimalistic window
> managers out there, such as ion and fluxbox. Finally, there is ice3wm,
> which I understand was specifically designed to emulate popular
> environments such as OS X and Windows, though once again, I have no idea
> how well it performs.

FluxBox probably has the lowest memory consumption of them all. I like
it, but it might take some getting used to for people used to Windows9x.

There's also a fork of the last KDE3 release called TDE. It implements
some bug fixes but otherwise doesn't have the bloat and performance
issues of KDE4. You can install it on most any distro, I guess. KDE is
much like Windows 9x/WP, so might be easy to adjust.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community