[LAU] "Laid to rest is Pro Tools LE"...

Kim Cascone kim at anechoicmedia.com
Tue Mar 1 21:41:08 UTC 2011

> I wonder how we could evangelize Linux Audio more effectively  to the
> outside world?
>
> - Mark

Mark
I address some of the issues still plaguing Linux Audio in an article I
wrote almost two years ago,
http://ow.ly/1s687Z

many of these issues, such as the clusterf*ck that is Pulse Audio as
well as the convoluted layers upon layers of Linux audio, have either
not been resolved or just gotten worse

and as I see it prevent many from adopting Linux as a serious audio
production platform - unless you are willing to pop the hood, roll up
your sleeves and get your hands dirty

mind you this is if one is NOT using one of the better distros such as
AVLinux or PureDyne (both of which works pretty much out of the box) and
are attempting to multi-purpose their environment - by sharing
administrative and music making tasks with a distro like Ubuntu

but other than the complexity of disentangling various messes that arise
with xruns, tweaking conf files and testing various kernels I'm very
pleased with my current setup -- now if I could only get my xruns under
control! ;)