[LAU] Laid to rest is Pro Tools LE"...

Kim Cascone kim at anechoicmedia.com
Fri Mar 4 16:17:30 UTC 2011

On 03/04/2011 04:00 AM, linux-audio-user-request at lists.linuxaudio.org
wrote:
> Not true of Yoshimi. Yoshimi does both JACK and ALSA, for either MIDI or
> audio.
>
> Zyn is less cooperative.
David

from the Yoshimi list when I couldn't get ALSA midi working in my setup...

first came the suggestion:
> You're missing *a2jmidid. *After you start jack, run that from the
> command line -- or set it up as an application on your toolbar and
> just click it. Then route your controller to midi through. Connect a2j
> to yoshimi and you should be good to go :)
then...

> Yoshimi handles alsa midi and jack midi. At build time, you get to
> nominate
> which of those is to be used by default. Your description of what midi
> connections show in qjackctl and patchage suggest you're probably
> expecting
> alsa midi, while yoshi is running set to jack midi.
>
> Regardless of the build time default midi setting, you can set the midi
> flavour to be used via command line parameter, eg

so you have to start the app from the command line if you want to use
ALSA midi - which most of my setup is using or use the 'a2jmidid' bridge
- either way - see my point about not being n00b friendly?