[LAU] Laid to rest is Pro Tools LE"...

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Mar 5 06:13:39 UTC 2011

Kim Cascone wrote:
>    On 03/04/2011 11:09 AM, Renato wrote:
>> I'm missing something here - other than adding 2 lines
>> to /etc/security/limits.conf what other terminal black magic is needed
>> in order to run a fairly general (DAW + synths) linux audio environment?
>>
> it's more a case of 'endless iterative tweaking'

Because the FLOSS philosophy gives you all the options, while Windows
and Mac OS X don't.

> I for one have had issues with xruns since upgrading Jack and Ubuntu (I
> know, don't say it)
> and certain apps cause xruns in differing amounts
> Yoshimi is unusable

Works fine here, with or without an RT kernel. But I use Debian, not Ubuntu.

> VLC still a problem, while Ardour, Phasex and Pd
> seem less problematic
> haven't tested all my audio apps on my laptop but...
>
> I have spent way, way too much time tweaking
> /etc/security/limits.conf && /etc/security/audio.conf
> plus messing around with the priority/frames settings in Jack
> this is not a 'set and forget' sort of thing (for me at least)
> since params live in multiple places and are non-orthogonal - it's been
> like playing whack-a-mole
>
> there are some docs online which walk one through the process of
> optimizing a system for audio and setting up Jack but so far I'm still
> not able to arrive at a combination of settings that bring my system to
> xruns=0

xruns can also come from hardware that seems to be unrelated to audio.
For example, a laptop's wireless network driver that frequently checks
to see if there's a wireless connection to make, even when the wireless
adapter's antenna is turned off. (Mine does that. I guess the real
option there is to blacklist the wireless driver.) Or shared hardware
interrupts. Or the presence of binary blobs in the kernel, like NVidia's
proprietary driver.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com