[LAU] Pi Day 2011 project - plain text

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Sun Mar 6 15:30:48 UTC 2011

On Sun, 6 Mar 2011, Arnold Krille wrote:

> On Saturday 05 March 2011 23:11:38 Kim Cascone wrote:
>> rules:
>> ======
>> - the piece must make use of the mathematical constant known as Pi =
>> 3.14159 in some way
>
> This is one very inaccurate rounding of the real value of pi.
>
>> - each piece should be EXACTLY 3 minutes and 14 seconds in length

Actually, that's accurate as far as it goes.  Did you mean to say
Imprecise?

  Furthermore, since time is not measured in decimal minutes, an expression
of 'pi minutes' in length would be three minutes, 8.495559200 seconds, not
3:14.  If you record at 48ks/s, that works out to 9,047,786.842 samples.
Will a submission be rejected if the file length is truncated to 9,047,786
samples?  Or rounded to 9,047,787?

--
Rick Green

                                   -Benjamin Franklin

"As for our common defense, we reject as false the choice between our
safety and our ideals."
                                -President Barack Obama 20 Jan 2009