[LAU] Music Made with Linux: The Infinite Repeat - Money, or Love (DJ AutoStatic Remix)

linuxdsp mike at linuxdsp.co.uk
Tue Mar 8 13:46:14 UTC 2011

Paul Davis wrote:
>>> also, curious why you used Qtractor instead of Ardour?
>>> are there params that aren't not able to be controlled in Ardour?
>> Sure - parameters of GUI based LV2 plugins for one thing, at least in
>> Ardour2.x...
>
> not that i'm aware of ... could you go into a bit more detail about this?
> i don't care that someone is using QTractor - its a fine program - but
> i'm really not sure if the claim you made is correct, and i'd like to
> understand it.

Perhaps I can add something to this.. Paul - I think what this is about
is that there is no way (as far as I'm aware) to assign a MIDI
controller to a control on an LV2 (if it has its own UI).  I think the
nicest way to do this would be to adopt a scheme similar to assigning
other controls, where the control is moved and the corresponding MIDI
controller is 'learned' and associated with the control.

- For example in energyXT, you just choose the MIDI controller, and then
tell the program to learn a corresponding control (even on a VST plugin)
by just moving the required control.

 From a plugin developers point of view, this would best be handled by
ardour just listening to or generating the LV2 port events in response
to the midi control (in the same way that automation can generate port
events) rather than any fundamental changes to the way the LV2 GUI
controls are handled.  This would mean no changes would be necessary to
the LV2 plugins (good from my point of view) and it would probably also
just work with plugins that don't generate their own UI (if that isn't
handled already)