[LAU] Sonogram with live jack input

Lorenzo Sutton lsutton at libero.it
Sat Mar 12 11:35:15 UTC 2011

Hi all,

Is anyone aware of any application as in the subject? With live I also
mean audio output from another (jack) source.
AFAIK there are only baudline [1] and freqtweak [2]. Baudline seem very
well done and it supports jack, but I personally find the vertical
scroll a bit awkward (personal taste) and it doesn't seem possible to
zoom to a specific frequency range or have two separate channel views.
Freqtweak also has a vertical scroll, and although it looks a pretty
cool software I can't seem to successfully select the jack source.
One sonogram software which really rocks is Sonic Visualiser [3] but (as
it's more intended for analysis and in fact does much more than
sonogram) it doesn't have live input.
Really I'd be happy with a simple horizontal scrolling sonogram ideally
with frequency zoom just to 'see' audio I'm working with (I know there
are very nice spectrogram applications, but for certain stuff I prefer
sonogram), e.g. in the style of the built-in sonogram of MAX MSP.

Suggestions, pointers et cetera appreciated.

Lorenzo
[1] http://www.baudline.com/
[2] http://freqtweak.sourceforge.net/
[3] http://www.sonicvisualiser.org/