[LAU] Audigy too

Leigh Dyer lsd at wootangent.net
Wed Mar 16 12:04:26 UTC 2011

On 16/03/11 22:34, Renato wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Mar 2011 21:19:10 +1030
> Batz<batzman-lau at all-electric.com>  wrote:
>
>> So if anyone wants to tell me how I can fast track this, I would very
>> much appreciate it.
>>

> hi, just a general consideration: from my experience every distro will
> have something that's not working right out of the box. But rather than
> trashing the distro and trying another one on the first problem, you'll
> be much better off (in terms of time) to choose a distro with a good
> community, and ask on forums or mailing lists advice for the specific
> problems you encounter. I know it does seem overwhelming when you've
> got many things to track down but you can make a list, and one by one
> solve the problems (and by so doing learn how all the system/apps work)
> - I just think you'll be up faster than if you just "try" another
> distro.

I couldn't agree more. You could try a hundred distros, hoping that one
of them will work out of the box 100% and never finding one that does,
or you could install a popular, well-supported distro, and learn to make
it work for you. Linux in general has a learning curve, and Linux audio
particularly so, and if you take the time to learn how it works and how
things fit together, you'll have a lot more success.

Honestly, even despite the various technical issues (such as
compatibility with your exact hardware setup), there's enough variation
in tools and workflows that I don't think you'd ever find a distro
that's set up just the way you want it out-of-the-box. Even if you did
find that magical distro where everything worked perfectly at first,
something would eventually break, and without the skills to diagnose and
fix your problems, you'd be right back where you started.

You need to take a step back, learn the OS, and learn some of the tools
before you can step forward again and start making music. If you don't
have the time to do that (and it's certainly no mark against you if you
don't -- it's a big investment), then you might as well move on now.

Thanks
Leigh