[LAU] new version of jackctl.py available

Aaron Krister Johnson aaron at akjmusic.com
Thu Mar 17 20:04:03 UTC 2011

Hi all,

You can download the newest version of my simple python script for making
jack, jack-midi, and alsa-midi connections from an interactive command line
interface here:

http://www.akjmusic.com/software/jackctl20110317.py

All you need, of course, is Python. And who doesn't have that on their
system nowadays? Just put it someplace in your PATH, and link it to a more
generic name like so:

     $   mv jackctl20110317.py /usr/local/bin
     $   sudo ln -s /usr/local/bin/jackctl20110317.py
/usr/local/bin/jackctl.py

Why not "qjackctl"? Maybe you like the swift stealth of the command line, or
maybe you don't want GUI overhead, or packaging overhead of having to
install QT if you otherwise wouldn't...

new features in this version:

1) you can edit a sample jackd command line within the script itself, and
with the new 's' command, you can thus toggle the jack server on and off
right from within "jackctl".

2) cleaner and clearer command prompt, unambiguously indicating three toggle
modes: audio, alsa-midi, and jack-midi

3) got rid of the silly terrible joke about growing fruit from your computer
:) Or did I? You'll just have to find out.... ;)

Let me know if you find any bugs....I want to try and convince Paul Davis to
package this script with future distributions of jackd itself---your
happiness with this script may make it possible :)

Best,
--
Aaron Krister Johnson
http://www.akjmusic.com