[LAU] audio latency question

andy baxter andy at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Sun Mar 20 18:52:24 UTC 2011

On 20/03/11 17:55, Paul Davis wrote:
> what you're discussing is not only about latency. i respectfully ask
> that you read this blog post and then follow the links to the original
> paper:
>
> http://createdigitalmusic.com/2008/12/intimate-control-multi-touch-new-models-and-what-2009-is-really-about/
>
> if your pad is only a trigger, its not so relevant, but if its
> providing more than just a trigger then randy's ideas are really
> important, i think.

Yes, I agree. The design I'm thinking of is heavily based on his ideas.
I've looked at his design, and it looks way ahead of what I managed to
do with my first drum pad prototype.

The only thing I found problematic in his design wasn't to do with
usability but the expense (and also physical bulk) of having to use a
high end audio interface as part of the electronics. This put me off
building one myself, so I am thinking of having a go at a very similar
design but using a resistive rather than capacitive pressure sensing
technique. I.e. basically the same design but using a sheet of carbon or
metal loaded conductive rubber and measuring the resistance changes when
you scan through the matrix. If this works, it will hopefully produce
similar results but with much simpler electronics and firmware.

andy