[LAU] USB-MIDI Controller Issues

Daniel Worth pipemanmusic at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 13:37:55 UTC 2011

Hello all,

I recently left my church and since they needed a hardware synth more than
me I gave them my Roland XP-30. I needed a controller still so I picked up
an old Evolution MK-149 for crazy cheap. When I got it I plugged it into my
studio machine that has a M-Audio Delta1010lt and it worked flawlessly. So I
ordered a super cheap USB midi
cable<http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0017H4EBG/sr=8-1/qid=1299703370/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1299703370&sr=8-1&seller=>from
Amazon to hook it up to my laptop. The midi cable is plug and play and
while I still had the Roland XP-30 I hooked it up and tested it and it
worked without issue. However, when I try to use it with the Evolution
MK-149 I got strange unusable behavior. If playing the same not it would
play 50% of the not properly and not send a midi off 10%. It would also play
a wrong note 5% of the time and drop about 50% of the notes. I hooked it up
to qmidiroute and confirmed that the midi messages themselves are getting
messed up. Does anyone have any advice for tracking down what the issue
is/how to correct it? It's strange that this combination of hardware doesn't
work. I may hook up my electronic drum kit to test it further.

Thanks in advance,
Daniel Worth
Host
The Open Source Musician Podcast