[LAU] help with guitarix settings

Q lists at quirq.ukfsn.org
Fri Mar 25 14:40:20 UTC 2011

Cedric Roux wrote:
> Hi,
>
> it's been years and years and years
> and I still don't know what settings
> to put in my guitar effect box (will
> be guitarix from now on I think, that
> kicks and the little laptop here is
> fast enough) to get a sound close to that:
> http://sed.free.fr/example.mp3
>
> The only word that comes to me when I
> hear this kind of sound is 'toy,' and
> it's not an insult. I love that little
> toy sound. But I really don't know how
> to reach it. I guess it's a lot about
> EQ settings. Maybe the distortion has
> to be special or I don't know... Maybe
> you need a special amplifier of a given
> brand and model...
>
> Any idea anyone? anyone using guitarix
> (gx_head) and able to reproduce the sound
> and tell me what settings they use?
>
> Thanks,
> Cédric.

Hi Cédric

Presumably you mean the lead guitar rather than the rhythm? I can't say
that I see your toy association for the sound, but that doesn't really
matter.

I'm not sure I'm going to be of much help, but you're never going to get
exactly there even if you have all the same gear, because so much is
down to the individual player and their fingers.

But that said, you've omitted a crucial bit of information -- what type
of guitar are you using? I'd be very surprised if you'd get near that
sound with a Strat or similar, I would have thought you'd need something
with a denser body, although the Red Special is semi-hollow. I know it
has single coils, but to me it sounds thicker (whilst still being
trebly) than I've ever managed out of my Strat.

I'd guess treble pickup on a Les Paul type, you might get away with both
pickups on something with P90s (or treble and mid if it has three). If I
were trying to do something like that, I'd be tempted to reach for my
Yamaha semi with triple P90s, but it does tend to break up at high gain,
so the Les Paul might be better.

Apparently May likes the sound of an AC30 cranked right up so you'd need
an appropriate emulation and there is no substitute for volume when
doing a solo like that. I'd say you don't want too much distortion --
plenty of gain, but not much drive -- and probably a fair amount of
compression going into the amp. (I do wonder though just how close it's
possible to get with modelling software rather than hardware.)

Other than that, there really doesn't sound to be anything much going on
effects wise. I suppose something like a Tube Screamer might help a bit,
but I've no personal experience with those.

I've just found this video on YouTube, which might help a bit. So, I
stand corrected, pickups 1 and 2 on a SSS guitar and a bit of phaser:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmbTA9CAr30&feature=related

I still think you'd get close with a bridge humbucker on a heavier axe.

I'm sure someone who actually knows what they're talking about and can
help will be along before too long ;-)

Cheers