[LAU] help with guitarix settings - jack issue

Peder Hedlund peder at musikhuset.org
Sun Mar 27 10:44:03 UTC 2011

Quoting Cedric Roux <sed at free.fr>:

> ----- "Paul Davis" <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 7:09 PM, Cedric Roux <sed at free.fr> wrote:
>>
>> > something. There are issues, like jack refusing to work with
>> > buffers of less than 512 frames (I am not with a rt kernel)
>>
>> when you say "refuse" do you mean "will not start" or "performs
>> badly"?
>
> jackd -d alsa -C hw:2 -P hw:0 -r 44100 -p 256
>
> leads to:
>
> jackdmp 1.9.6
> JACK server starting in non-realtime mode
> Cannot lock down memory area (Cannot allocate memory)
> creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:2|256|2|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit

1. You aren't running jack with realtime priorities and memory locking.
    Make sure you're in the audio group, have "@audio - rtprio 99" and
    "@audio - memlock unlimited" in /etc/security/limits.d/audio.conf and
    start jack with a "-P 70" flag prior to "-d alsa".

2. Built in Intel soundcards usually work better with 3 periods per buffer

3. Why are you using different soundcards for capture and playback?