[LAU] persisting jack_connect problem

Julien Claassen julien at c-lab.de
Sun Mar 27 19:23:16 UTC 2011

Hello Stephane!
   The problem in the first place is jack_connect - or maybe the jackd part
behind it). Jack_connect is the commandline based connection/disconnection
client, that comes with jack (and jackmp).
   I use it on the commandline to connect two ports, did you never come across
it?
jack_connect system:capture_3 system:playback_1
   Something like this. The normal behaviour is:
connect inut to output
Print a short message about engine samplerate or something
exit.
   That way you can use it for all kinds of text based purposes or for
scripting.
   But if the connection is made, yet the aplication doesn't return somehow
(from what I could gather, stuck somewhere in the connection proces, perhaps
not getting the clear signal), then you can't script with it and even normal
manual usage on the commandline is VERY awkward.
   There is a callback in jack_connect, which is given to jack. It just sets a
simple integer from 0 to 1. Somewhere in the program (after the connection
call), there's a while-loop waitng for this variable to become 1. I suspect,
there it sticks. Couldn't see any other problem there. Well maybe the
original call to the connection function from the jack API itself doesn't
return.
   Any ideas, suggestions? I could put some debugging prints in there to test
further, but I thought, that someone else might have noticed this and could
give me a hint or just a note, if/when it's fixed. As I said, I repulled three
days after the first build and there were changes, but nothing changed for
jack_connect.
   Warm regards
           Julien

--------