[LAU] xrun problems. (Was Re: Introduction to Ardour 3.0 MIDI)

Uwaysi Bin Kareem uwaysi.bin.kareem at paradoxuncreated.com
Wed Mar 30 16:11:37 UTC 2011

I found that I could run 0.363 ms latency, quite easily. No dropouts, if
just running renoise.
I did compile a kernel where I turned off all that I could though. What I
remember offhand - maximum level of preemption (no need for rt kernel).
Preemptible RCU,
SLAB (doesn't do as much stuff as slub, and probably therefore has lower
latencies)
I didn't find enabling tickless to be a problem.
250hz timer.
Turning off IOMMU's, and similar things. You don't need them on boxes that
has below 4GB RAM. IOMMU adds to latency.
Disabling all debugging, hacking, securtity, and other stuff you don't
need.

Also you need to make sure that realtime-threads get the highest priority.
I also had to modify rtprio to 99 and nice to -20, in
/etc/security/limits.d/audio.conf on ubuntu natty.

This is my full local config.

http://pastebin.com/JCie5RRN

I'm on a core2duo, also using a nvidia gtx280, without problems. 0.363 ms
latency was with renoise, jackd and konnekt24d.
The kernel is 2.6.36-zen0
http://downloads.zen-kernel.org/snapshots/zen-stable/linux-2.6-zen.v2.6.36-zen0-full-git.tar.gz

I use this because it has some low latency patches, from 38 and 37 on top
of 36, which has the old firewire stack.

Peace,
Uwaysi.