[LAU] Recommended USB interface with 2 XLR inputs?

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Sun May 1 15:29:29 UTC 2011

On Sunday 01 May 2011 00:18:55 Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 02:27:18PM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > I sold most of my mics and currently just have a pair of Rode NT1-A's
> > which I do like the sound of for most things. They spec 5db SPL
> > Self-noise whereas the KSM42 seems to spec 8.5.
>
> It's actually the combination of self noise and sensitiviy that
> matters. At 5dB(A) the NT1-A must be one the lowest noise mics
> available. Fortunately it also has quite a high sensitivity:
> -32 dBV/Pa. Combining the two means its produces -121dBV(A) of
> noise, comparable to the Edirol's EIN at maximum gain. So now
> all depends on how well the Edirol maintains its EIN at reduced
> gain. I probably could measure one next week. Really good preamps
> have a constant EIN in the top 20-25dB of their gain range, but I
> doubt if the Edirol holds up to that.

If I remember correctly it was the head of schoeps who proclaimed/said last
fall that with todays condensor microphones (well, what he considers a
microphone) and todays ad-converters, there is really no need of a variable
gain as both have the same dynamic range... Was about digital microphones
where the adc is directly behind the pre-amplifier of the mic.

Have fun,

Arnold