[LAU] Recommended USB interface with 2 XLR inputs?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue May 3 15:13:29 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 7:57 AM, Joe Hartley <jh at brainiac.com> wrote:
> I'm quite late to this thread, but I recently purchased an ART USB Dual
> Pre Microphone Preamp and have been quite happy with it so far.
>
> I have not used its USB connectivity, but jacked its outputs into my
> Delta 1010 and it sounds very good - it's nice and quiet and had no trouble
> providing phantom power to a Rode NT1A using battery power.
>
> It's a USB1.1 device so if I were to use it as a USB audio device, I'd
> only get 16 bits and either 44.1 or 48 KHz from it, but that's fine for
> my use.  It takes either 1/4" or XLR inputs (both balanced) and gives
> 1/4" balanced outputs.  It can take power from a battery, external power
> supply, or USB connection.  I have not tried providing phantom power to
> a mic using the USB connection.
>
> I don't think this is quite what the original poster was looking for,
> but so far I've been very happy with this and wanted to mention its
> existence.

Hi Joe,
   Is this the one you're talking about?

http://www.amazon.com/ART-USB-Dual-Channel-Preamp/dp/B002KEAT78/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304435158&sr=8-1

   Actually, being that I don't need MIDI at all and the price is
quite nice it is on my list.

   I think the question in my mind, assuming you like the sound of the
preamps, is what the converters are like. Any chance you might do a
parallel recording, getting both the analog into your 1010 in parallel
with grabbing the audio over the USB port and then commenting on
comparison? That would be great.

   Anyway, thanks much for the inputs.

Cheers,
Mark