[LAU] Remix Made With Linux

S C Rigler riglersc at gmail.com
Mon May 9 12:55:51 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 3:02 AM, Cedric Roux <sed at free.fr> wrote:
> ----- "S C Rigler" <riglersc at gmail.com> wrote:
>> http://db.tt/TcusEbd
>> The acoustic guitars were recorded with a single AT2020 mic and the
>
> classic guitar, no?
> what processing did you put on it? (eq, reverb, compressor, whatever)
> where was the mike placed (close/far, near the hole/head, up/middle/low in
> the vertical plane)? plugged in what preamp/amp? what is your soundcard?
> (sorry, a bit of classic guitar nerdiness)

Haha.  I'm no pro at recording acoustic guitars (or even recording
with a microphone), so I'll do my best to describe my process.

I used two guitars; a Cordoba GK Studio for the nylon fingerstyle
parts and an Ibanez Exotic Wood series for the verses.  The mic was
about 12-18 inches away from the guitar (closer when recording the
Ibanez) and pointed at the area where the neck meets the body.

For me, recording the classical guitar is a challenge because:
1. I'm not that good at classical fingerstyle (although the experience
has inspired me to spend more time with it)
2. The dynamics have to be *exactly* correct.  If I started off
playing too quietly there was an audible "click" from the microphone
which would not be there if I put more emphasis on the first note.
Some notes are boomier than others so I would have to back off on
them.

I use a M-Audio Firewire Solo so it has a builtin pre-amp and phantom
power.  I use the compression and EQ that are builtin with MixBus.
The reverb was using Tom Szilagyi's IR LV2 plugin.

Thanks for the interest!

--Steve