[LAU] [Ardour] Offline export with OSC

Aurelien tyranorl at free.fr
Tue May 10 13:36:46 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 01:28:04PM +0000, Fons Adriaensen wrote :
> On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 03:04:22PM +0200, Aurelien wrote:
> .
> > Then, I would have one question: why can I come to different results for
> > several exports of the same session?
> > I mean, I already had cases in which my master finally end up to +1.0
> > dB, and the export after to -0.1dB (without changing anything), and so on.
> > I'm not speaking of big differences, but enough to make it hard to
> > optimize my dynamic before mastering.
> > I really thought that it was linked to realtime processing, but if not,
> > I'd be interested in understanding what is behind all of this.
>
> If you export to an integer file format anything above 0dB will
> be clipped.

Yeah, for sure.

> OTOH, if the export includes resampling then the peaks in the
> exported file will be higher than those at the output of the
> master strip. The difference will be small in most cases, but
> in theory it is unbounded. Better keep a dB or so of headroom.

For the cases I spoke about, I didn't.
But, by the way, I was speaking about the master vu-meter, which can be
observed during the export, and which is -for me- the point to which I
pay attention when exporting. This master can give a range of values for
max peak different for several exports of the very same session.
I've to say I work in studio, and use a lot of LADSPA/LV2, and work with
a 75-80% DSP load. Don't know if that influe, but...

> Ciao,
>
> --
> FA

Aurélien