[LAU] [Ardour] Offline export with OSC

Aurelien tyranorl at free.fr
Tue May 10 14:45:46 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 02:03:57PM +0000, Fons Adriaensen wrote :
> On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 03:36:46PM +0200, Aurelien wrote:
>
> > For the cases I spoke about, I didn't.
> > But, by the way, I was speaking about the master vu-meter, which can be
> > observed during the export, and which is -for me- the point to which I
> > pay attention when exporting. This master can give a range of values for
> > max peak different for several exports of the very same session.
> > I've to say I work in studio, and use a lot of LADSPA/LV2, and work with
> > a 75-80% DSP load. Don't know if that influe, but...
>
> I'm not sure if the meters indicate anything useful at all
> during export. Maybe they do but I wouln't count on it.
>
> You should check levels while adjusting the mix - which means
> before exporting. I can't really imagine why anyone would
> export something without listening to the final mix at least
> once... At which point you could as well record the mix instead
> of exporting it later.

Actually, I do that, but as I didn't know that I shouldn't have cared
about what the meters indicated during the export, I always look at
them.
By the way, it could be useful to get the meters indicating something
correct, as what you're going to get from export is not really the same
than what you get from hearing realtime.

Thinking about it, I've always seen people checking meters when
exporting, or at least, getting the max peak to be sure there were no
pb.
By the way, we're speaking about quite small quantities, but, when
dealing with very low-dynamic, and very powerful music like Metal or
HipHop (west coast style), it's an important point to get an optimistic
level before the mastering!

Anyway, thanks for the info.

> Ciao,
>
> --