[LAU] acid techno test

James Morris jwm.art.net at gmail.com
Mon May 16 21:25:36 UTC 2011

On 16 May 2011 22:13, Julien Claassen <julien at c-lab.de> wrote:
> Hello James!
>  I'm not sure, if I ever came in much contact with acid techno, but I
> certainly met the species called good, ol' 90s techno. :-) And I missed a
> few things here. So if my basic comparison is the wrong genre, just stop
> reading here. :-)

Well yeah, early to mid 90's techno. It had so many names that I
was/am never sure what to call it.

>  Maybe a start at the tempo: It's probably not WAY too slow, but perhaps way
> too slow. :-) Mind you, what I associate with acid, seems to be more slow

Yes I did want to speed it up, but it's kinda awkward as I would need
to do time-shrinking/and/or/beat slicing.

> going and chillout. I remember, that techno round that time could be happy
> with tempi up to 180 BPM, but certainly over 140 BPM. It seemed, tat illegal

Depending on what speed you played it on the record player. There was
some slow stuff. But definitely I think if I make another then a
faster speed is the thing to do from the start. I wanted to make it
fast but for some reason settled on 120bpm!?

> substances were quite well in trade at that time, so people somehow managed
> to dance through a night of that. No particular ill will intended, but
> that's what some people from the scene complained about at tat time.

I heard that too!

>  The bass drum: I miss the good old kick your arse and make your neighbours
> house collapse bass drum. Either a typical Roland one or the distorted,
> compressed and sub-bass EQ'ed criminal offense, that somehow feels rather
> good.

Well I used a random kick sample from one of the hydrogen kits and
applied lots of fx to it. My trouble is I intend to do one thing, then
do something else, then the next day change it all again.

>  The mangled hihats were a nice touch and certainly fitted into the techno
> of that time, especially the part of techno, that was not on unspeakable
> samplers, which still exist today and poison the minds of unsuspecting young
> people. :-)

I did want to avoid using 'stock' sounds.

> people. :-) The same goes for sound right at the beginning, can't really
> tell what it is, but it sounds disfigured enough to fit in. Don't get me

Yes I did want disfigured sounds!

> wrong, I'm nt totally against it, it takes me back, yes I listened to that
> sort of music occasionally and enjoyed it quite a bit. It's rather
> liberating, I suppose I just came in toomuch contact with satirical and
> comic writing of late. difficult to get it out of ones system.
>  The rest of the electro/industry reminiscent sounds in there are also very
> good and proper, but I miss some screetching, smoothcing TB303-ish weird
> arpeggio sound in there, that makes sure to fill the upper reaches of the

Not all the techno tracks had that. I downloaded around 40 tracks from
youtube, and well, let's just say tb303 was over used imo and techno
doesn't necessarily require one. at least that was the basis i was
working on. not having one and all that. only equipped with yoshimi
here ;-)

> frequency spectrum. Either that, or easing up on the hihats, so they can
> tear ones ears to shreads with their high spectra.
>  Again slight appologies for the tone, but it's an earnest oppinion, at
> least if compared to normal techno from the early to mid 90s. Well if the
> acid-bit introduces something vital to the genre you were playing with,
> excuse me and forget you read this.

No no. I don't really know what I'm talking about either :-)