[LAU] [ot] connecting breakout box and headphones

James Morris jwm.art.net at gmail.com
Sun May 22 08:55:51 UTC 2011

On 22 May 2011 03:19, Reuben Martin <reuben.m at gmail.com> wrote:
> Buy a soldering iron.

I'd rather not. Especially as I already have one. A few years ago I
used the ancient (found in parents garage around twenty years ago, and
it was ancient then) beast to solder a 2.5mm stereo jack to twin 1/4"
mono jacks. The 2.5mm jack was so fiddly I had to buy extra of them
because I kept melting the plastic sleeves inside the plug itself.
When I managed not to melt anything, the lumps of solder were too big
to get the outer casing on. Eventually I do believe I got something
which worked. It lasted less than a year.

Perhaps I need a new soldering iron?

James.