[LAU] Recommended USB interface with 2 XLR inputs?

Aurélien Leblond blablack at gmail.com
Tue May 24 13:38:29 UTC 2011

Hi everyone,

You have the M-Audio Fast Track Ultra.

I'm testing one currently and it "works almost" out of the box in
Ubuntu 11.04 (kernel 2.6.38) but:
- Alsa needs to be modified to get the Midi recognized. The fix is
already known and I'm very confident it will get to Alsa mainstream
soon.
- The internal routing of the soundcard is done via software. There is
a patch available wit the basic functionality but I haven't tested
that yet. Oh and the main developers of this functionality has been
posting stuff today on the Alsa-Devel mailing list, so he's working on
it.
- There is a small bug where the sounds cards is dropping samples.
Daniel Mack from the Alsa-Devel is working on it.

The most complete thread on the subject is here:
http://forums.m-audio.com/showthread.php?714-Not-a-problem.-FastTrack-on-linux/page21

Overall, it's not as well supported as the Edirol UA-25Ex for example
(the USB one I used to have), but I'm very confident it's only a
questions of months.