[LAU] Request for advice : more specific

jim jim at well.com
Thu May 26 14:03:44 UTC 2011

    (with thanks in advance: this is per Paul's response
below to my earlier request.)

San Francisco:
    I hope someone can provide opinions and/or pointers
to web sites and especially local experienced users. <---

Context:
    I have a project of putting together a CD (or MP3
or whatever format) that provides background music for
singers at a party. Future projects will be similar.
    The arrangements include a bass instrument, one or
two keyboard instruments, and possibly guitar and/or
sax and/or other, including (possibly) some rhythm
instruments (most likely traps such as wood blocks...).
    I have a 1986 Mac and Pro Tools and D002 setup,
Roland EP150, X 10, and various electric and accoustic
instruments along with mics, a mixer....
    I'll probably buy a drum machine/sequencer (Boss
880 or some such) today.

Problem:
    I would like to convert my system to Linux. I hope
I can use a laptop, but I have (or can buy) a high
speed tower system, in which case I hope to use both
rather than be tethered to the tower. My bias is for
hardware as much as possible in order to ensure that
the computer won't have problems doing its things.
(My old Mac sometimes, and unpredictably, chokes up
while running pro tools--usually "not enough interrupts".
    I don't know what good software (*) and hardware
(-) to get:
* sequencer software
* some kind of mixer software that stores audio to
  disk?
* other?
- USB to midi interface (for the laptop at least)
- other midi interface (expansion card for the tower)
- audio sound card or external system (if external,
  what connection: USB2 or Firewire or...?)
- midi instruments (i've got a few; is there a
  best-of-breed drum machine or keyboard or...?) i
  like the idea of having a midi drum machine and a
  midi bass machine and a midi keyboard machine...
  and drive them all with a sequencer and capture the
  audio on some device.
- hardware equipment that captures audio tracks to be
  used for mixing--there's a $399 eight in device that
  saves to an SD card and allows mising the recorded
  channels to a stereo out (no fx).