[LAU] Switching the distro

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun May 29 14:27:05 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-05-29 at 15:30 +0200, Robin Gareus wrote:
> > Debian stable is just about the most outdated working Linux system you
> > can have =). This is great for stability (as the name implies), but
> > don't expect to see some new software for maybe up to a year or 2.
>
> A /stable/ system in a studio or on stage is a good thing! YMMV.
>
> But outdated packages is not true [any more]. e.g. debian/stable offers
> ardour-2.8.11 (the current release), IOhannes is personally pushing Pd
> to debian/git and you already find the latest LV2/lilv/SUIL/.. in sid.
> need to list more?
>
> For a desktop/devel system you can run a mixed stable/testing/sid by
> just adding them to /etc/apt/sources.list (either manually or with your
> favorite package manager - here are the files I use:
> http://rg42.org/_media/wiki/etc-apt-sources.list.gz
> http://rg42.org/_media/wiki/etc-apt-preferences.gz

Okay, so I decided to download and install the stable release, to add
your repository list and if needed I'll mix stable and testing.

For Ubuntu there was an solvable issue using make-kpkg some time ago,
that's why I was asking.

I suspect no PPPoE during installation?

Anyway, I first try to use

$ wget