[LAU] Switching the distro

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sun May 29 18:15:57 UTC 2011

On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 10:35 AM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-05-29 at 09:53 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
>> On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 9:38 AM, Ralf Mardorf
>> <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:

>> > 7200 GS as replacement for the integrated ATI Radeon X1250-based.
>>
>> <SNIP>
>>
>> The 7200GS is supported by the Certified 270-41.19 driver
>>
>> http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-display-amd64-270.41.19-driver.html
>>
>> I've been through the other side of this problem when purchasing very
>> new cards that aren't supported either. In response I've learned to
>> poke around the NVidia website to determine what alpha/beta driver I
>> needed to run to get it to work. Here's where I went to find the
>> driver that current supports the chipset you mentioned:
>>
>> http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Mark
>
> Yes, it's a very old second-hand card. I don't need current high-speed
> cards and all kinds of digital connectors, I just need simple 3D
> capability from time to time, it's much more important that the graphics
> is passive, than super fast and with two fans ;). Music has got the
> highest priority here, it's nice if I could use the same computer for
> animation and video, if I like to do that, no FPS, home entertainment,
> overclocking etc.. A video composite output might be nice too. Even my
> AGP NVIDA from the stone age would be good enough, if it wouldn't come
> with a fan and if my current board would have an AGP slot. When I bought
> my mobo I thought that I need HDMI etc., but I was mistaken.
>
> -- Ralf

I don't understand your point with all these features.

1) You said you cannot spend money because of your current job situation.

2) You mentioned the 7200GS. I assumed that meant you currently OWN
the 7200GS. If not then disregard my messages.

3) If you OWN the 7200GS already, then plug it in and get the
270.41.19 (or higher) driver. It should work.

I've dumped ATI here completely as I'm interested in the CUDA
capabilities in the NVidia line for other projects. I.e. - my video
cards aren't just video cards to me.

Good luck,
Mark