[LAU] Switching the distro

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sun May 29 19:15:15 UTC 2011

On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 11:59 AM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:
<SNIP>

> I'll switch the distro and it was mentioned that the current version of
> X might not work with proprietary NVIDIA drivers anymore, resp. I read
> something on the Arch Linux homepage, they excluded the proprietary
> NVIDIA drivers, regarding to this issue.
>
> A misunderstanding.

OK, I understand but personally I wouldn't worry about it. There is
great support at NVidia for Linux and they're not going to drop that
just because a new version of X came out. NVidia CUDA is huge in
finance, 3D design, medical, etc., and a lot/most of that is Linux. If
the newest versions of X are having trouble then that will get worked
out quickly. On Gentoo I'm using xorg-server-1.9.5 with no problems
using 270.41.19. I see xorg-server-1.10.5 in portage but it's still
marked as testing so I haven't bothered with it.

Being that there are no recent real-time kernels I think the use of
NVidia isn't as much of a problem as it used to be years ago.
Personally I don't need the real-time kernel anymore. The standard
kernel is fast enough for my needs. (Sub-5mS) Being that NVidia works
well with the standard kernel I'm pretty happy here. I suspect that
properly setup your 7200GT will work fine. (I.e. - do whatever it was
designed to do.)

Good luck,
Mark