[LAU] Switching the distro

Raffaele Morelli raffaele.morelli at gmail.com
Mon May 30 07:09:30 UTC 2011

2011/5/30 Simon Wise <simonzwise at gmail.com>

>  Just use testing/wheezy, there's no need to face with the unstable release
>> bugs or with the "vintage" stability when you have the mid choice. IMHO
>>

> testing[wheezy] is quite similar to unstable[sid] generally ... things get
> a bit more lively around the release time for a new stable when testing is
> frozen for six months before the new release, then becomes the new release,
> then changes rapidly as all the backlog moves in. experimental also exists
> and has had things like ardour3 on it sometimes, packages or versions that
> are not in sid but are tests or alternatives being tried out before being
> moved into sid.
>
> Sid is more useful than testing if what you want from your system is a
> system that matches the system that the packagers are using to prepare new
> packages, in particular if you want to be able to use the packages that the
> multimedia maintainers are making. That list has been growing rapidly for
> the last year or so.
>
> Simon.

About testing
*[...] That means that things should not break as badly as in unstable or
experimental distributions, because packages are allowed to enter this
distribution only after a certain period of time has passed, and when they
don't have any release-critical bugs filed against them*.

Experimental has ardour2 on it sometimes? I really don't think so :-)

regards
-r

--
*L'unica speranza di catarsi, ammesso che ne esista una, resta affidata
all'istinto di ribellione, alla rivolta non isterilita in progetti, alla