[LAU] Switching the distro

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Mon May 30 23:26:11 UTC 2011

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-05-29 at 23:08 -1000, david wrote:
>> Oon-Ee Ng wrote:

>>> Debian stable is just about the most outdated working Linux system you
>>> can have =). This is great for stability (as the name implies), but
>>> don't expect to see some new software for maybe up to a year or 2. If
>>> you really have to have the latest there'll be stability sacrifices to
>>> make, but something like Arch (which I use) is great. More maintenance
>>> needed though, especially if you update close to daily. Once you've
>>> got a good system going it makes sense to only update when you don't
>>> have a big project coming up.
>> I like Debian Sid - AptToSid does a nice distro based on Sid. They have
>> releases that use LXDE or XFCE, so you don't have to contend with the
>> idiocies called KDE4 or Gnome 3. Only thing is they don't provide an RT
>> kernel.
>
> I switched from KDE3 to GNOME2, full ACK, KDE4 is idiocy. I hope I can
> keep GNOME2 for a while :S, since LXDE and XFCE don't really fit to my
> flavour :(. I heard about a 'vintage' option for GNOME3?!

I don't know. I wouldn't bother with any 'vintage' option for GNOME3;
GNOME3 gobbles way too much memory (1GB!!!!) for my taste.

Sorry, I consider all varieties of the GNOME desktop to be an insult.
Their design philosophy appears to be: "Now that we've removed THAT
functionality, what else can we remove?" Eventually, the GNOME desktop
will consist of one button in the middle of the screen that reads:
"Shutdown." ;-)

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com