[LAU] Processing question

Al Thompson althompson58 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 19:32:02 UTC 2011

On 11/08/2011 02:24 PM, Julien Claassen wrote:
> Hello everyone!
>   I'm trying to process a bass drum, namely this one:
> http://juliencoder.de/bd.ogg
>   My goals; Short attakc, some high frequency click - if possible -
> and a short release. Not much mid-frequency content. Think metal bass
> drum. Unfortunately I failed gloriously. :-( I can use any LADSPA
> plugins. I've tried a combnation of:
> gate (SWH ID: 1410) and compressor (Invada Stereo Compressor ID: 3309)
> for the attack and release. I alwyas use Fons' 4-band parametric EQ
> (ID: 1970) for EQ'ing.I've used two in a row, but didn't get rid of
> the mid content. Well, let me put it this way: Although I tried
> pulling down, what I perceived as the main peaks there, I still ended
> up with a bass drum sounding rather middy.
>   Any suggestions on that? Basic techniques might do? A nice setup
> with specific  tools might be even better. :-)
>   Thank you for reading and pondering!
>   Kind regards
>            Julien

Be careful using a gate on a drum.  It will most likely give results
other than what you want, as it will actually end up softening the
attack due to the attack time of the gate itself.  If you speed up the
gate's attack time to get more of the drum's initial beater attack, you
usually end up with a "click" caused by the gate opening too fast.  By
softening the attack, a gated drum will actually emphasize the drum's tone.

As for EQ, I'm listening over my laptop's speakers, so can't really
tell, but I'd try scooping 180-350Hz, a narrower scoop at around 1.5KHz,
and a boost at 35-45Hz (if you can hear that on your monitor system.

A compressor can be hit or miss on a drum.  Try about a 3ms attack time,
and don't get carried away with compression ratio.

See what happens.

--
---
My website is down. I had a motherboard failure on that computer!! (ugh)

  http://lateralforce.no-ip.org

My blog, with commentary on a variety of things, including audio,
mixing, equipment, etc, is at:
   http://audioandmore.wordpress.com

Staat heißt das kälteste aller kalten Ungeheuer.  Kalt lügt es auch;
und diese Lüge kriecht aus seinem Munde: 'Ich, der Staat, bin das Volk.'
                                                - [Friedrich Nietzsche]