[LAU] Reinstalling Ubuntu - Which version ?

Atte André Jensen atte at email.dk
Mon Nov 14 16:35:07 UTC 2011

On 11/14/2011 09:59 AM, jy wrote:

> Anyway I think it's my last attempt at ubuntu as I get tired of it, if
> think it's great to begin with but now I want something a bit more...
> well... stable and smaller. Something I can have easy control.
> So which ones would you suggest for reasonable tweaking, easily
> maintanable, with good hardware support (as I'm using a laptop) and fun
> to use for people who don't care about which OS they're using (meaning a
> cool and friendly desktop with the regular apps that one can use on
> other OS) ?

I been using debian for ages, switched to ubuntu for the 6 month release
cycle and the benefits of beeing in the mainstream. Unfortunately the
later version made me long for something else. The unity/gnome3 thing +
the rumor that ubuntu was planning on abandoning their 6month release
cycle and switch to rolling release was too much for me and I installed
arch (after recommendations from this list).

I've been very happy with it, it's small, stable, has a rolling release
(I'd prefer a 6month release cycle, but it works quite well, nothing has
been really broken (not more than with a fresh unbuntu install) since.
It's a a bit hand-held during the install, but that's something you only
do once.

I'm sure you'll get a ton of recommendations, so good luck with choosing :-)

--
Atte

http://atte.dk   http://modlys.dk