[LAU] RT in Arch Linux

James Morris jwm.art.net at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 22:10:37 UTC 2011

On 15 November 2011 21:42, Fons Adriaensen <fons at linuxaudio.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 09:31:42PM +0000, James Morris wrote:
>
>> On 15 November 2011 21:15, Fons Adriaensen <fons at linuxaudio.org> wrote:
>>
>> > Where do you get that message ?
>>
>> When starting jackd. It further informs me that I don't have a sane
>> system configuration.
>>
>> The only way I can get JACK running is to use the --no-realtime
>> switch. Then, for example, using the mouse scroll wheel on web pages
>> causes audible crackling.
>>
>> I've been using JACK flawlessly up until a month or so ago (roughly
>> the last time I recall using it).
>
> A few basics (just to be sure):
>
> - Check /etc/security/limits.conf, where you should give
>  RT and memlock privileges to the audio group.
> - Check if you are in the audio group.

Yes, and yes.

> If these are OK, the usual suspects are obese desktops like
> Gnome and KDE, their zillions of dependencies and daemons,
> and their security configurations using polkit and consolekit.
> If that's the case I can't help, I'm not using those.

Well.. I'm not using Gnome or KDE desktops... But, there were a few
kdelibs depending on polkit. Removed them. Removed polkit. These
probably a result of installing something in the past month which I
never use so no loss.

Consolekit OTOH, I'm fairly sure (due to XFCE) will have been
installed for some time and hasn't caused problems before now.

But I think it [possibly] has to be something to do with all this as
around the same time, logging in with LXDM (LXDE graphical login
manager) suddenly stopped working (the login screen  is head-to-toe
decorated in widget-grey, and any login attempts are immediately
booted out).

I'm currently using the Enter login manager which is probably more
broken than Slim (docs say it's broken regarding aforementioned *kits
IIRC).

Anyone no their way around this stuff?

I've also got an NVIDIA card, and using the proprietary driver (for
the occasional jaunt in minecraft).

James.