[LAU] Keystroke or MIDI-controlled reverb/flange/etc. filter capability?

Renato rennabh at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 08:33:02 UTC 2011

On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 22:26:55 -0600
"Jonathan E. Brickman" <jeb at ponderworthy.com> wrote:

> Greetings.  I have a need to turn on/off multiple software audio
> filters (reverb, flange, chorus, et al.) using either computer
> keystrokes or MIDI control signals.  Anyone have a way?  I've looked
> at GUI automation of calfjackhost instances and several other things,
> but have not found anything likely to work very well.

Hi, you could for example use Jack-Rack. You can easily assign midi
controls to the bypass of each effect. If you need lv2 effects you
could try lv2rack (I don't use it alot though and can't tell if you
can assign midi, but I would suspect so)

If you need to this with a mix of standalone software (rakarrack and
guitarix come to mind) you would need something midi-controllable to put
up the signal chain to split your signal. There are probably easier [and
better] ways to do this, but with a bit of tinkering I came around with
this:

in jack-rack you load "mono to stereo splitter" and "simple amplifier",
you set the gain of the amplifier to its minimum (-70 I think). Now,
when both are enabled, the signal only comes out of the splitter
outputs (mono_to_1-1 and mono_to_1-2) and when both are disabled the
signal comes out of jack-rack's outputs.
You then only need to assign the same MIDI CC to both "enable" buttons
and you're done.
Quite a hack, but it should work

best wishes,
renato