[LAU] [slightly OT] Musical citation (what is allowed?)

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Wed Nov 30 21:29:56 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 11:48:01PM +0300, Louigi Verona wrote:

> Which always strikes me as something illogical. Nobody has to pay for work
> which was done without their consent. When I am in a barbershop, I do not
> ask for music.

You don't pay for it directly, the barber does. And he wouldn't have
music in his shop unless he's convinced that it improves his turnover.
The barber shop may be a corner case, but the typical clothes outlet
targeting a young public isn't. It's only right they pay for it.

> As for restaurants, I wish they did not play it at all =)

I agree. Or at least keep it at low level. I created a near incident
a few weeks ago in a local restaurant I visit quite often. That evening
they had some local radio station on, half of the time it was quite
agressive advertising. I canceled my order, but offered to pay for
it anyway. Of course the owner asked me what was the problem. I told
him I didn't want to have dinner while being forced to listen to that
'spazzatura' (crap). He understood. Music was changed and I got my
dinner for free. He's using his Mac for music now instead of Radio DJ,
and it's quite acceptable even if not my preferred kind of :-)

Ciao,

--
FA

Vor uns liegt ein weites Tal, die Sonne scheint - ein Glitzerstrahl.