[LAU] Need direction for Stable LTS version of Real Time Linux Kernel for Audio

Hartmut Noack zettberlin at linuxuse.de
Thu Oct 6 22:15:18 UTC 2011

Am 06.10.2011 23:36, schrieb Deba Pratim Saha:
> Hi all,
>

> I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 on my Netbooks with Real-Time kernel for audio
> operations. I have 2 queries regarding this -
>
> 1.       What is the LTS version of Ubuntu 10.04?

There are certain versions of Ubuntu labeled LTS. 10.4 is one of them.
LTS stands for "long term support" that is: you get updates/fixes for it
until April 2013.

> 2.       The RealTime Ubuntu Wiki page states that the -rt kernel will not
> be supported anymore. What do you suggest me to use as a stable kernel for
> Real-Time Audio processing purposes?

I have tested it with the plain standard desktop-kernel and it performed
very well for audio after jackd-install and setup. The RT-Kernel from
CCRMA in a Fedora 14 installation on the same machine allowed a bit
lower latency but with 8ms, both systems performed equally -- the
Fedora-Installation felt a bit more reliable to me but only gradually
and I doubt, that this differences are related to the kernel.

So in a word: if you want to use Ubuntu for audio, do so, it works as
is. If it does not work for you, consider to install another
Linux-Distro, if there is anyone out there who can tell different
stories about a complete RT-kernel and Ubuntu 10.4 I gladly stand
corrected ...

best regards

HZN