[LAU] How bad is mp3/ogg

Al Thompson althompson58 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 05:34:46 UTC 2011

On 10/11/2011 06:52 PM, Monty Montgomery wrote:
>> Responding to myself here. Out of curiosity, I just did some AB'ing
>> (hadn't in a very long time)
> A/B doesn't remove confirmation bias unless it's randomized.  Perhaps
> that's what you meant (FTR, squishyball will give you casual A/B,
> randomized A/B, A/B/X and X/X/Y testing).
>
> Some very high end ears routinely fall prey to this-- It's not that
> you can't trust your ears, it's the brain that's gullible.

It also doesn't negate something else which may be more difficult to
categorize, and that is there are apparently many who PREFER the sound
of their music encoded as mp3.  I've read two studies where blind A/B
tests were performed on various groups, and a large portion of those in
their teens/early 20s preferred grainy, compressed mp3s over .wav.

So, apparently there's something else at work when we talk about what
sounds "good" or even "better."

--
---
Check out the website I've been cobbling together.  It will never be

My blog, with commentary on a variety of things, including audio,
mixing, equipment, etc, is at:
   http://audioandmore.wordpress.com

Staat heißt das kälteste aller kalten Ungeheuer.  Kalt lügt es auch;
und diese Lüge kriecht aus seinem Munde: 'Ich, der Staat, bin das Volk.'
                                                - [Friedrich Nietzsche]