[LAU] Linuxsampler/qsampler usability and session portability

Rui Nuno Capela rncbc at rncbc.org
Fri Oct 14 12:19:23 UTC 2011

On 10/14/2011 12:40 PM, Dan MacDonald wrote:
> I addressed the list yesterday regarding my dissatisfaction wrt the
> current state of soft samplers under Linux. Since then I have checked
> out the latest svn versions of Linuxsampler and qsampler just to make
> sure nothing had dramatically changed since I last tried them. I'd much
> rather we fix up LS and qsampler to be usable in all cases rather than
> anyone, such as myself, go starting a whole new project. I was thinking
> about posting this to the LS mailing list (if there is one) but the
> problems I've encountered today involves a wider range of Linux audio
> projects than just LS (such as LV2 and Ardour) so I thought it best to
> discuss these issues here.
>
> I have two goals I'd like to see achieved:
>
> 1 - You should be able to import wavs into qsampler and create/use
> simple .sfz files without opening/editing/manually creating any text
> (.sfz) files. This should be easily achieved by adding a new menu option
> to qsampler called something like 'Import audio files' or 'Create sfz'.
> In most cases you just need to specify the soundfile and the note or
> range that will trigger it. Comments Rui?

in case you didn't notice, qsampler is a _front-end_ to linuxsampler.
that definition also applies to the other cases, like jsampler (aka.
fantasia) and gsampler.

the actual sampler engine is linuxsampler which also acts like a server
to any of its front-ends (clients) via lscp (linuxsampler control
protocol) a simple line text protocol over plain tcp/ip.

linuxsampler front-ends like qsampler only "talks" lscp, they don't know
nothing about jack, midi nor sound-files, whatsoever. it is linuxsampler
that does all the dirty work, even if its being redirected via its
plugin interface.

however, linuxsampler as an engine does not provide any interface to
edit sample files be that .gig or .sfz . you edit those files through an
appropriate stand-alone application (eg. gigedit) and then tell
linuxsampler to load the product into its engine. that's it.

you can now guess the answer is no ;)

cheers
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela