[LAU] hifi stereo supporting linux filesystem?

Dan S danstowell+lxau at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 12:50:26 UTC 2011

2011/10/9 Robin Gareus <robin at gareus.org>:
> Hi Frederico,
>
> On 10/09/2011 11:38 AM, Federico Bruni wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> it's the first time I write in this mailing list and I hope I'm not OT.
>> I'm looking for a hifi stereo system with USB support. I mean: I want to
>> be able to plug an external USB hard disk, browse the folders and choose
>> the files I want to listen to.
>>
>> I've found some products (by Cambridge Audio) that support all the
>> formats I use, i.e. Ogg and Flac.
>> But it seems that the only supported filesystem is FAT32.
>> I wonder if you know some product which support some more advanced
>> filesystem. Hopefully ext2/3/4, but even NTFS would be maybe better than
>> FAT32.
>>
>> FAT32 is slow and doesn't support some characters in the file name. I
>> know I'll have some problems copying my huge collection of files in a
>> FAT32 filesystem.
>>
>> Any hint is appreciated.
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Federico
>
> I suppose you're looking for an off-the-shelf product, however what you
> wish to accomplish is easily done by just taking an old laptop (or
> similar) with a good audio-interface and simply install GNU/Linux.
>
> There's quite a few OOTB "media-center" distributions:
>  http://www.mythbuntu.org/
>  http://www.geexbox.org/
>
> Doings so should not take longer than finding a product that does what
> you want :-)

Just to add my opinion: we run mythbuntu as our main TV etc. Its music
player is OK, but nowhere near as good as almost any other media
player (banshee, mpd, amarok, songbird...). I end up using banshee
rather than myth's own player.

If you're mainly thinking of music playback, don't start with mythtv!
It's very cool for TV though.

Dan